Three teenagers are dead following another weekend of gun violence in New York City. The violent weekend comes as the Democratic nominee for New York City mayor Eric Adams, other local leaders and law enforcement officials plan to meet with President Joe Biden at the White House to discuss the nationwide surge in gun violence.
The latest shooting happened around 11:30 p.m. Sunday in the Mount Hope section of the Bronx according to CBS.
Police said two men pulled up beside a cab near the corner of East 178th Street and Webster Avenue, opening fire on 16-year-old Ramon Gil- Medrano in the backseat. He was shot in the head and chest and pronounced dead at Saint Barnabus Hospital.
FOUR TEENS SHOT: Police say a total of four teenagers were shot over the weekend in New York City, three of them died.
— John Dias (@JohnBDias) July 12, 2021
The shooting happened less than two miles away from where a 13-year-old was killed around 3:15 p.m. Sunday near East 187th Street and Prospect Avenue.
One witness told CBS2 he heard the shots ring out right in front of a café.
“When the third one came, I hit the floor. I didn’t get up until it was over, and then… I called 911,” Belmont resident Luis Mercado said.
ALSO CHECK OUT NEWS SECTION ON WORLDWIDE
Police said the teen was the intended target, and the shooting may have been gang related.
Another teen was shot and killed just after midnight Sunday on Quencer Road in Queens.
Police said a 16-year-old was also shot in the thigh Sunday near Pitkin Avenue in Brooklyn. He was expected to survive his injuries.
As of July 10, there were 795 shooting incidents citywide with 920 victims. This time last year there were 612 incidents and 750 victims.
Some community activists say the city needs to bring anti-crime units back.
“We should be throwing away the keys on gun violence repeat offenders. They should not be let out on the street anymore,” said Sidney Flores.