Pro wrestling’s landscape changed forever with the advent of Hulkamania and WrestleMania in the 80’s, but in 2023 the game will have a massive change with the merger with UFC.
After having one of the most successful WrestleMania weekends of all time, on the second night of the annual event, buzz online was that the company would have new owners. A few months ago, it was rumored that the WWE would be sold to a group of investors from Saudi Arabia. However, that is no longer the case.
Instead, it is being reported by TMZ that the WWE and the UFC are going to merge and form one massive sports entertainment company. This deal will feature the UFC owning 51 percent of the company, while the WWE will have the other 49 percent. It is a massive new venture that has unlimited potential. As you can imagine, McMahon is very excited.
“Together, we will be a $21+ billion live sports and entertainment powerhouse with a collective fanbase of more than a billion people and an exciting growth opportunity,” McMahon said. “The new company will be well positioned to maximize the value of our combined media rights, enhance sponsorship monetization, develop new forms of content and pursue other strategic mergers and acquisitions to further bolster our strong stable of brands.”
VINCE MCMAHON AND UFC CROSSOVER
The WWE has seen crossover with UFC stars that included Brock Lesnar who became UFC Champion after having a record breaking rookie season in WWE in 2002. Ronda Rousey has also come from the world of UFC and became a WrestleMania star with WWE.
McMahon took over WWE (then known as WWF) from his father in the 1980s and has since expanded the company into a global entertainment brand. He is also a former professional wrestler himself, and has appeared on WWE programming in various roles over the years. McMahon is known for his charismatic personality, and for his ability to create and promote professional wrestling storylines that captivate audiences.
Vince McMahon on the WWE and UFC merger: “It’s the right time to do the right thing.”
— Chris Van Vliet (@ChrisVanVliet) April 3, 2023