Breaking NewsNewsToronto Rappers & Hip Hop Series

Slain rapper Smoke Dawg’s dad has Grenadian charged of Wayne Smart murder

WorldWide Entertainment TV Now Or Never Toronto Rappers & Hip Hop Documentary Series

Wayne Smart, 49 — a Canadian citizen — disappeared Dec. 11 and authorities in Grenada have now charged one of their citizens for his murder in River Sally, St. Patrick.

The police had released a public statement of “On December 11, 2022, Mr. Smart vanished after leaving his dwelling. He is roughly 5’8″ tall, thin, and has a dark skin tone.”

On March 31, 2023, the police made an arrest of capital murder of a citizen and he has been arraigned to April 25th, 2023.

The Royal Grenada Police Force says the accused, Lyvon Date, 33, unemployed of Griffith Lane, St Andrew was arrested and charged by members of the Criminal Investigation Department in connection with the death of Wayne Smart.

Smart, a Canadian Citizen, who had been residing in Grenada, was reported missing in December 2022. A police investigation was launched and had been ongoing.

On March 31, 2023, the accused led police to an area on the beachfront at River Sallee, St Patrick where the police recovered what appears to be burnt human remains, believed to be the remains of Smart.

Date made his first court appearance today at the St George’s No. 1 Magistrate’s Court and was remanded to His Majesty’s Prisons.

He will make his next court appearance at Sauteurs Magistrate’s Court on April 25, 2023 as reported by Caribbean Loop News.


Smoke Dawg — real name Jahvante Smart — was killed in a brazen daylight shootout in Toronto’s Entertainment District on June 30, 2018.


Triggermen squeezed off multiple shots before fleeing in a black SUV with tinted windows. Also killed in the gunplay was Prime Boys manager Koba Prime, 28.

Rapper 21Neat — real name Abdulkadir Handule — was convicted of two counts of second-degree murder. He is serving a life sentence.

The shootout cost Barnes his life and Smart the use of his left eye.

Smart, 27, pleaded guilty to possession of a firearm while under prohibition and was sentenced to the equivalent of two years, considering his pre-trial custody, said Mr. Justice David Watt.

“He is disentitled to leniency … he has a cavalier attitude towards the courts and the law-enforcement community,” said Watt, as he rejected Robbins’ bid for a one-day sentence on top of time served.

“There is no evidence he fired the fatal shot. He had a handgun in plain defiance of a weapon prohibition and prior convictions for weapons offences,” Watt said.

Smart was confronted by Barnes and other men when the gunfight erupted. After being shot in the basement laundry room, Smart staggered north to Liverpool St., west to Castleton Ave., south to St. Clair Ave., where he collapsed in a gas station parking lot.

Along the way, he concealed the handgun in a laneway.